Monday, February 3, 2020
Objective: Ms. Mahowald will introduce herself to students, students will have time to finish their My Student Path spring surveys and Raise.me account updates, and students can read to prepare for block day's fishbowl discussion.
NOTE: This week students completing the vocabulary workbook should be working on Lesson Ten (week one of two).
1. Students who missed class last week need to complete the assessment from last Friday either during class today or during a study hall.
2. Ms. Mahowald will introduce herself and start getting to know her students.
3. Students will then have time, if necessary, to finish their updates.
4. Students will have the remainder of the period to read to prepare for the fishbowl on block day. Here's a reminder of the topics groups will be discussing for the fishbowl:
- Chapter 15 - The showdown in front of the jail, Scout's role in that showdown, the relevance of this event to the book, etc.
- Chapter 16 - Atticus and Aunt Alexandra's differing views of Calpurnia, the "blind spots" people in Maycomb have, mob mentality, the people of Maycomb heading for the trial, Mr. Dolphus Raymond, how the courthouse represents the people of Maycomb Co., Scout's revelation from the Idlers, Judge Taylor, etc.
- Chapter 17 - Heck Tate's testimony, Atticus' cross-examination, Atticus' demeanor, Robert E. Lee Ewell's testimony, Mayella Ewell's geraniums, etc.
- Consider what evidence you will use from each chapter to support your opinions (RL.1), what we learn about characters in these chapters through indirect characterization (RL.3), Harper Lee's tone in these chapters (RL.4), and how you feel (your mood) as a result of specific events in these chapters (RL.4).
HOMEWORK: Read Chapters 15-17 (164-202) for block day. On block day we will be having a fishbowl discussion with three groups. Each group will discuss one of the chapters. Be prepared to participate both inside (SL.1C) and outside (SL.1D) the fishbowl. We will take twenty minutes for independent reading TOMORROW since the fishbowl will take all of the period on block day. Come to class prepared!