Monday, December 9 - Tuesday, December 10, 2019
Objective: Students will take the MAP assessment to see how they have grown since last spring and identify where they need to continue to grow.
Students will learn that growth is what I want to see. We all grow at different speeds, but we should all be growing.
NOTE: Students completing the vocabulary workbook should be working on Lesson Six this week (week two of two).
1. Students will take the MAP reading assessment today.
2. Slow down. The goal of this assessment is not speed. The goal of this assessment is not a perfect score. The goal of this assessment (which is a diagnostic) is to identify (or diagnose) your strengths and weaknesses so those can be addressed throughout the second semester.
3. Slow down (did I already say that? :). Speed kills in cars and when taking assessments. I will be giving you a peppermint when you have been working for 1/2 hour. If you are done with the assessment at that time, that's not good. If you are on question two at that time, that's not good. If you are approximately half finished with the assessment, that's where you want to be. You are making your best effort to show what you can and can't do.
4. Ideally, no one will be finished Monday. Ideally, some people will be finished by the end of the period Tuesday. If you are not finished by the end of the period Tuesday (or if you are gone Tuesday for shadow day), that's okay. You can finish during a study hall, AA, etc.
5. If you finish before the end of the period Tuesday, continue reading, annotating, and identifying unfamiliar vocabulary through the end of Chapter Five of TKaM. We will be having a fishbowl discussion on block day this week, and you need to be prepared for that.
FOLLOW-UP: Independent reading will take place this week on FRIDAY. Be prepared to participate in the fishbowl discussion this block day covering the book through the end of chapter five.